Friday, August 29, 2008

How do I test the setting point of jam?



Many people are put off jam making because the recipe says "boil until setting point is reached". It is not really a great mystery when this is. I made jam for many years without a thermometer using a simple spoon test.

To test if your jam has reached setting point take a small amount from the boiling jam pot and drop it onto a cold saucer. Allow it a few seconds to cool and then push it with the teaspoon. the jam has reaches setting point when it sets on the saucer, which is visible when you push it.

If you make a lot of jam it is worth buying a jam thermometer. These clip on the side of your pan and are marked at the various temperatures needed to set jam, jellies and toffee. ( I had marvellous brass one which got lost on one of my moves, and now I have a cheap tacky plastic one.) They both work equally well but the brass one looked nice hung in my kitchen!

No comments: